birch

birch
Trees are poems that Earth writes upon the sky. We fell them down and turn them into paper, that we may record our emptiness. ---Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Packing For Mars


Do you have a book you can read again and again without getting bored? What is it that speaks to you about this particular story?

 


I suspect I’m not alone in having such a book, because I know that there are certainly movies out there that people watch over and over again; and movies are really just one person’s version of a story put on film.

I like movies, and I have several favorites that I will gladly watch again, but I like books better than movies!  Why?  With books, the writer may have certain ideas in his head about the plot and the characters when he puts his thoughts on paper, but the reader interprets the story in his own way.  And that's pretty cool.

Movies show us all the visual details. Books force us to create scenes in our mind as the story unfolds.  We paint the characters using the clues left for us by the author, but the portrait is our own.

In books, we linger over elaborate passages where actions and thoughts are ruminated. We gnaw on delicious words that make us think and feel. In movies, everything is condensed. Lofty ideas are distilled into single sentences, and complex topics are gobbled up and reguritated to form swift scenes.

The only part movies spin out are car chases.
 

What would you pick if you were on a spaceship to Mars and they gave you a memory stick for your photos, music, movies and books and you could only pick 5 of each to carry with you? 

Books:

(Of course most of these are all the first books in a series and I’d really want THE WHOLE SET of each.) These are linked to our library's collection - check them out.






 
Movies:






 
Music:

     1.   "May It Be" by Enya

     2.   "Collide" by Howie Day




 

I’m not sure what these lists say about me, and frankly I don’t care.  Everyone has their own lists and the choices are subjective.

 
 

What you might have noticed in my lists, is that all of my favorite books have been made into movies!  That’s a pretty good indication that others like these books too. (Hollywood rarely shells out money to produce a movie from a book that is not a Best Seller.)
 
While I liked the movies they made from the books, I am still glad that I read the books first.  In fact, I probably would not have enjoyed the movies so much had I not read the books first - as my mind was able to fill in the parts that the movies glossed over.

 

Of my favorite movies, only two started out as a book - Last of the Mohicans and A Little Princess. 

LOVE

I read  A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett when I was a child after first having read  The Secret GardenI loved them both and have reread them many times – picking up different points as I’ve aged.  Sadly, the same cannot be said for the other book.


HATE

Seriously, I have tried to read The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper several times in my life, each time failing miserably.  For me, the words are so dry and boring that it is hard to imagine that it is telling the same romantic tale as was filmed by Michael Mann!

And, in fact, it isn’t.  In the movie, Hawkeye falls in love with Cora, whose younger sister Alice is killed.  In the book, Hawkeye is so much older than Cora, that he regards her as a daughter and it is she who is killed by Magua - not Alice!


Cora and Hawkeye

I know, for me, if Cooper’s book hadn’t been put on film and turned into a “love story” with the accompanying Irish ballads by Clannad and shot in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of NC – I would not have watched it.  Period.  I concur with Mark Twain , who wrote a famous essay, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses in which he claimed that “Cooper has scored 114 offenses against literary art out of a possible 115.”  

 


SONGS: The Movie it was in - and who sang it


 
 
As for my song choices to put on that memory stick going to Mars, three of them were from movies– Enya's was played in The Lord Of The Rings,Iron and Wine played in Twilight and Goo Goo Dolls played in City of Angels . Kind of strange how my stuff keeps overlapping?  Well, I like what I like.
 
I’ve picked songs that I think I could listen to over and over without getting irked. I mean, I like most music, but I don’t think I could listen forever to Lorde’s "Royals" without developing a twitch…or Pharrell Williams "Happy", without wanting to throw something!
 

 
Are you judging my choices? Go ahead and comment.  Show me YOUR lists!
 
 
 

 




1 comment:

  1. I liked this challenge! Here are my “5” I could read/watch/listen to over and over:

    5 books:
    The Stand by Stephen King (my all-time favorite!)
    A Time to Kill by John Grisham
    Peathtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons
    Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie
    The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

    5 movies:
    Braveheart (Mel Gibson, Patrick McGoohan, Sophie Marceau)
    Rob Roy (Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange, Tim Roth)
    Schindler’s List (Liam Beeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes)
    The Hangover (Justin Bartha, Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Heather Graham)
    The Sound of Music (Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer)

    5 albums/CDs/songs:
    “Unforgettable” (performed by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole)
    The Pretender (performed by Jackson Browne) (whole album!)
    Braveheart : original movie soundtrack (composer, James Horner)
    “Separate Ways” (performed by Journey)
    “Superman (It's Not Easy)” (performed by Five for Fighting)

    ReplyDelete